Friday, August 24, 2007

Master of my own demise

hu•bris 'hyu brIs, 'hu- - [hyoo-bris, hoo-]
–noun
excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.

See example: Pokertart pulling off an incredible bluff when shortstacked, and then showing said bluff, only to realize that this cripples her ability to pull same such bluff anytime soon in same game.

Bah.

Out 8th with Kh10h. I was first to push, got called by two better hands. Hit my 10, but still lost to QQ.

Banky was pissed last night after her got slow rolled when he went all-in. Banky announced “I have a pair” and flipped over his 77. Caller said ‘me too’, but didn’t flip his Aces over right away.

It was a dink move for sure, and Banky was not impressed. It’s been tough lately, because Banky has been getting mad after every league game lately….I understand his frustration, but it’s taking the fun out of the game for me.

Being a couple who plays poker together has some incredible advantages. There are times, however, when it’s very difficult – especially when you have very different emotional reactions to the game. I try to be supportive, but the peacemaker in me wants to make him feel better right then and there, when I know all he really needs is to be pissed off for awhile and then he’ll be fine.

Men really are from Mars.

-----

It’s time for a bit of a blogroll update…welcome to the tuckfards over at TuckFard Poker, and RaisingCayne, that Talkin’ Donkey.

5 comments:

CarmenSinCity said...

I loved that scene where reese showed up in the bunny costume. I almost put that picture up on my blog today too. hehehe

I love sweet tarts and your name "poker tart" makes me think of candy. hehehe Nice.

BamBam said...

Thanks for the add-on P.T. ! A very nice surprise indeed.

As long as you have the ability to recognize that we are indeed from Mars, your capable of detecting our next move, when you think things out first.

At least that's Pebbles strategy with me. lol.

Men are like cards....

You gotta' know when to hold 'em, etc..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for for the link!

My wife and I play as well... in fact most of the Tuck Fards are couples. When I get ticked at the game because I bust she is always supportive. BUT, when I do well and she doesn’t…. she still happy…. I don’t get it…. Women are sooooo from Venus.

RaisingCayne said...

My blog got a shout out!? Right on...

Enjoyed the post Tart. You're right to recognize that us Men often simply need time to "be angry." I'm sure Mr. Bankwell was back to his normal self soon enough. There's a time & place for everything, and we men need our time & place to be irate.

Mr. Bankwell said...

I'm getting cold decked like mad, so it doesn't help to have some one slow role me when they have Aces.