Monday, November 26, 2007

Easy come, easy go

Working from home on Thursday brought a lovely side effect – lunchtime poker. I convinced Banky to play a $5 HORSE sng with me. Big mistake – he busted me on (or near) the bubble. At least he took second place ;)

When my ‘work day’ was done, I decided to play way above my roll (as I am occasionally known to do), and crushed the 15/30 OHL game. I quadrupled my buy-in (which, incidentally, more than doubled my roll on FullTilt). Wheeeeee

I know one shouldn’t risk so much of their bankroll on one game. But my offline bankroll is more than sufficient. And sometimes I just get sick of the small stakes. I’m a gambler at heart.

The league game that night was disappointing as usual. When the blinds were 150/300, we had 6 players left and we were all shortstacked. I was the chipleader at one point, with less than 10 times the Big Blind. There’s so much wrong with the structure of the game, and I really don’t have fun there anymore. The people I really liked have stopped coming, and last week the ONLY person talking it up and trying to have a good time was Banky. Everyone else was sitting there stonefaced. BO-ring. Anyhoo…

That lead to Friday and what is quickly becoming the most therapeutic game I play…Kat’s Donkament. I like being able to act silly and not care about the results. Last week I think I was in for $15 bucks. This week, I didn’t have to rebuy once. The poker gods were on my side. I ended up losing to Carson when my hammer lost to AceJack. I think that was hammer karma hitting me because I told Astin that his hammer was no goot. Ooops!

Saturday I thought I was the shiznit and tried to repeat my OHL crushing, and was crushed instead. I lost 2 buyins…gross. But I was still up for the weekend, so I was able to keep it in perspective. The only bad part is, after riding the variance train on Thursday, I cashed out a bug chunk of change, so with the loss on Saturday,my FT balance is back on the paltry side. Ah well, time to rebuild...

3 comments:

BamBam said...

Now I know why you're my favorite P/T. "I'm a gambler at heart."

I'll see you Friday, if not before.

;o}

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

When crushing on the high limits ride it as long as you can. Many of people have built a big bankroll on a few crushing sessions. Best of luck.

RaisingCayne said...

I have to say, I think this is the first I've heard of Kat's Friday Night $1 rebuy Donkament being referred to as "therapeutic." Personally, I like it 'cause it drives me to drinking on Friday nights! I kid, it's always good times.

Sorry to hear of your league game losing its luster. Sure is a bummer when a hobby that you're passionate about loses it's entertainment value just 'cause of the others involved.

Good luck with your "taking shots" at the higher limits!